Monday, November 16, 2009

Uptown Girl & Quintessential New York

This weekend, I moved further uptown from my current abode (Micaela's house) in Chelsea to stay at the Grand Hyatt. One of our family friends, Sandy, was in town so it was a full weekend of shopping, dining and doing more of the quintessential (tourist-y?) New York. It's fair to say that never have my bank balance or my attempt-to-be-good-for-summer stomach felt so sick..

First up Friday night - Dinner at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant at the London. Service and the atmos were great as was the chef's tasting menu. Food highlights were the poached quail egg with prosciutto, leeks and roast beetroot as well as the cheese plate.

Great cheese plate. Washed rind and salted blue.. yum.


Not so great was the crazy cab driver on the way home who forgot to turn on his meter, asked us what we paid on the way up and then proceeded to shout and yell that we were lying about our previous fare up to the London hotel.

Having spent 2 weeks with friends telling me to harden up and not be so nice to people, I decided to give it back to him NY-style. Except that ten minutes later in the hotel, Sandy realised she'd left her camera in the cab. Oops. Goodbye camera and pretty dinner pictures.. hello potential for scary stalker/cab driver.

Outside the London..Japanese tourist..


Saturday was spent up and down 5th Ave..shopping like a machine for 7 hours despite the rain, general crowd and the hordes of people lined up outside H&M for the new Jimmy Choo collection. I managed to score a great bag at the end of the day when we decided to amble in and try our luck! Dumped at the end of some shelves, it was exactly what I'd seen online the day before thinking I had no chance. However, seeing the 'security area' cordoned off for shoppers with allocated time slots and the number of women scrambling over each other reminded me of that sad 'Only in America' Walmart story about the poor person crushed to death while the crowds just kept stepping over the body.

Jimmy Choo for H&M (minus crowds):


Saturday night we had a pre-theatre (I refuse to write 'theater') dinner at a great Italian restaurant, Insieme, where I gorged myself yet again eating my meal, half of Sandy's and then managing to fit in gelato for dessert..pumpkin gelato! Figured it had to be done.

Pumpkin gelato on the right:


There are so many shows I'm keen to try and fit in over the next couple of weeks (Sadly, I missed out on tickets to 'A Steady Rain' /Droolfest with Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman..) but it was great to kick it off with the very traditional, classic New York 'Rockettes' at Radio City. So New York, So Christmas-y and SO many long-legged dancing girls..love that precision dancing!

Rockettes on stage:


With the weather hotting up at home and having seen Amy's amazing pics from this year's Sculpture by the Sea (sydneyswitch.blogspot.com), it was really nice to get some sun on Sunday especially with brunch at the Boathouse in Central Park. More tourist-y photos and more eating continued..

The Boathouse:



Oops..wrong order..can't figure out how to re-format..



Feeling tired but excited, pre-coffee /food



..before we continued downtown to Soho for an afternoon of more working out (the charge card, that is) and stumbling upon Mercer Kitchen where we rounded off a great weekend.

As much as everyone tells me here to go to a steakhouse, I must say I have been sceptical about finding a really GOOD steakhouse. Mercer Kitchen is definitely no steakhouse but the NY strip steak on offer was spectacular. Made me almost NOT miss the G-nash at home..don't worry Jacq and Cuz, G nash is still the favourite ;)























































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment