Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Saatchi NY: Day 1

Having been determined to walk the 9 blocks to the PATH station for some morning exercise, I woke afer 3 hours of jetlagged sleep and realised I would have to catch the bus to the PATH train to make into work for my first day! Eek. Thankfully, I'd already walked past the building over the weekend so there was no getting lost. I was welcomed by Liz, another account manager on my team, and taken to my new desk on Level 17. There are some great views from up here but unfortunately, none from my desk! The morning was spent in a flurry of meetings listening to a whole bunch of P&G acronyms with which I'm not yet familiar. However, my team Gina, Lolita and Liz are great and hopefully at the end of the 5 weeks here, I'll have some clue as to what is going on.

My office (loving Amy's pink feature wall):

The view from reception...



From first impression, the culture and office is very different here. Less open and communal. Everyone sits in separate offices and there is more of a corporate feel so it's definitely time to turn down the Chan-volume!

The lack of coffee options was another first day challenge. The choice seemed to be between Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts. Surprisingly, Dunkin' Donuts made an ok latte but nothing worth writing home about.

Further adding to my American experience was the cafeteria on Level 14 and the shoeman... I felt like I was straight out of a high school movie taking my tray around getting food from the soup station, the salad bar and checking out the hot food offerings. And all paid for using an automated cashless card system! How efficient. The shoeman option feels very old school, having someone to come around and shine your shoes for you for just $6!

I'm sure after a few more weeks of traipsing around the city, on and off the subway, I'll be right into the swing of Saatchi NY, getting my shoes polished and talking P&G terms like a pro!

2 comments:

  1. ahh...don't turn down the chan-volume - the NY office needs some perking up! :) wish I could send you a coffee from here. xx.

    ReplyDelete