Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mexican, Mac & Cheese and a Speakeasy

(Apologies upfront, I've tried to steer away from food as the common topic. It only occupies 2/3s of this blog.)

As much as fried, fried, fried doesn't necessarily agree with my heart, arteries or the summer I'll face when back home, I have launched myself into making more 'American' choices this week.

Mexican
Unlike at home, the Mexican food here is damn good because, well, there are more Mexicans! So I figured I need to make the most of it while i'm here.

Tuesday night, I headed to La Esquina for dinner with Mel and her brother Julian. La Esquina is an ultra-cool place on Lafayette and Kenmare that has a Taqueria (cheaper takeaway/sit-in), Bar and Restaurant. The restaurant usually has a 3-4 week wait and having decided that afternoon I wanted to go, Mel and Julian happily obliged and we went and had the super cheap and cheerful tacos with all sorts of amazing fillings. I had the stewed pulled chicken option and an amazing beef one with beef guisado, rice, black beans and salsa. We also ate amazing corn on the cob complete wtih cheese and chilli powder. HEAVEN. Can't wait to try the actual restaurant too.

The Taqueria:


Mel and Julian:



Wednesday night, Carine (my old boss from BMF) and Ange (another ex-BMFer) organised dinner for 6 of us at Rosa Mexicana at Union Square. It was big, loud, fun and the margheritas were plentiful. Guacamole is prepared at your table - super fresh and super delicious. As much as I wanted to go another taco or the baked chicken tortilla pie for my 'entree' (American for main..despite the french meaning..), I ordered their "Day of the Dead" special.. a slow cooked cassoulet of duck, chorizo, beans and potato. A-MAZING. Thanks to Ange and Rinnie for organising!

Still not sick of Mexican yet..


A speakeasy
Going to a speakeasy was highly recommended in Amy's switch book for another 'American' experience as well as by friends at home who'd been to a few in NYC. Following our dinner on Wednesday night, Ange led us to Raine's Law Room in the Flatiron district.

At this point, I shall insert the definition from Wikipedia:
A speakeasy was an establishment which illegally sold alcoholic beverages during the period of United States history (and the Canadian history) known as Prohibition (1920–1932, longer in some states). During this time, the sale, manufacture, and transportation (bootlegging) of alcohol was illegal. The term may have come from a patron’s manner of ordering an alcoholic drink without raising suspicion—bartenders would tell patrons to be quiet and “speak easy,"[1] or from the ability of patrons to talk of alcohol without having to fear that government officials would be listening.

So I've heard stories of bars situated through the back of convenience stores or behind nondescript doors in alleways where alcohol is served in teacups etc. Raines Law Room was no different. One minute we were walking along West 17th and the next minute, Ange was pulling open a door that looked like we were heading down to someone's basement apartment.



We were ushered inside into a small, dimly lit bar with intimate booths and a fantastic 'kitchen' out the back from where they serve the drinks. Their cocktail list included classics as well as their own concoctions and the menu even extended to their own handmade chocolates. I loved the fact that they only take as many people as the bar seats so it's cosy and very intimate. Tried to take a few discreet photos...see below. To get a better idea though, visit yelp.com to see their photos. http://www.yelp.com/biz/raines-law-room-new-york






The most interesting part of Raines Law Room however was the wallpaper..




Now take a closer look...



Mac & Cheese
An all-american favourite and after reading Amy's blog (sydneyswitch.blogspot.com) on her Americana night and drooling over her homemade chili dogs and mac and cheese, I figured it was only fitting to try it here myself. Now we're all familiar with macaroni and cheese but I figured I needed to just have it once. (And after battling massive food coma and feeling so sick at work this afternoon, there shall be no more).
Liz took me out to Mae Mae's, one of her and Amy's favourites that's close to work, really cute and serves great comfort food. The weather turned today so it was a good day for a hearty meaLiz ordered the grilled cheese (which they change every day.. today's special had feta, another cheese I can't remember and tomato relish) and I ordered the mac and cheese complete with camembert, blue cheese and bacon.
6 hours later... still feeling sick.
(I can't even put the photo on here it makes me feel sick. Actually, can't figure out how to add it in..should have loaded it first.. argh first-time blogger/technology)

Ok, time to finish up work. 715pm. Off to Bleeker St Bar tonight to hang out with Kerri and meet some of her mates..


















































































































1 comment:

  1. ahhh...love la esquina - one of my faves. and I haven't been to that speakeasy yet - I'll definitely check it out when I get back to the city. If you find yourself in the east village, craving mac&chz - check out S'mac - an all mac&chz restaurant :) xx

    ReplyDelete