Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My new abode

Since I've been here, I've been lucky enough to stay in a few places with my ultra-generous friends! Makes my suitcase packing extra efficient and while I've spent most nights sharing a bed, it's been great being able to live in the city and spend quality time with my friends!

1. Hoboken

Hoboken (pronounced HO-bo-ken) is the home of Amy, my switcher. Hoboken is a cute little place which is actually in New Jersey. It's much quieter than the bustle of Manhattan with lots of young couples and families. A lot of people commute from Hoboken as the rent is cheaper and it's a similar distance to Brooklyn - you just have to take a different train system to get out there, the PATH train. Amy has a great apartment with lots of space for her and her 3 flatmates. However, I was lucky enough to have friends living in the city so after my first week it was off to...



2. Murray Hill

This is where my good friend Mel lives with her American flatmate, Courtney and where Amy previously lived. Mel lives in a great apartment on Lexington Ave. .. with some beautiful flower boxes out the front which we managed to flatten after falling into them after a few too many birthday drinks. Must have looked great in front of the doorman! Mel's house has almost become a halfway home for all of her visitors passing through in the last 2 months - my first weekend here, Mel had our friend Jess in from LA, me on the couch and her brother arriving 24 hours later.

Murray Hill is midtown, on the east side, right near Gramercy Park. There are some beautiful apartments, brownstones and a heap of Indian restaurants right near Mel's place (Curry Hill)! It's a little quieter at night but it is very central, feels safe and easy to get around.

Flattened flower bed:



On our way home from frozen yoghurt,
Mel and her brother Julian outside Mel's place


3. Chelsea

Another of my close friends, Micaela, has been living in a walk-up (ie no doorman, walk straight up) in Chelsea for the last few years since moving to NY. Upon my arrival in NY, Mic insisted I stay with her and since then, I've been sharing her studio for the past 2.5 weeks and it's been amazing to walk 15 minutes to work in the morning.

Chelsea is a little like Paddington/Darlinghurst - a gay-friendly area with lots of townhouses and also some pretty little streets. It also borders West Village and the Meatpacking district so there are great boutiques, shops, cafes etc in the general area. Mic often goes for a run around Chelsea and down to the Highline (new 'sky park' they built that also houses the Standard hotel) and the West Side highway with lots of little piers that stretch out with patches of grass over the water, looking across the river. Another benefit to Mic's house was the great location on 14th between 7th and 8th..right near a cute place I found that does proper coffee!

The Highline:


West Side Highway, looking across at Jersey:

After having Mic so generously host me for the last couple of weeks, I packed up my suitcase again, crossed town and went further down to the...


4. Lower East Side

My friend Kerri's place is actually right on the border of East Village and the Lower East Side. Once again, I was so fortunate in that Kerri has gone home for Thanksgiving and is California next week for work. She very generously offered to let me stay at her place for my last 2 weeks here. Part of my Saturday was spent sunning it up on her balcony (yes, sun..and yes, a balcony! A rarity in NY and especially now considering I understand the insane rental market here!) and then watching the sunset and night fall over the Financial District, Lower East Side and the Brooklyn Bridge.

This area feels a bit more eclectic and less Paddington/Darlinghurst, more Surry Hills or Newtown. Kerri's place is also right near Jake and Loren's apartment on 10th and 1st, in the East Village...which was great considering I left my keys (carrying 3 sets around was starting to get annoying!) inside the house on my first night! But a great way to become well acquainted with Tenzin the door man and the building superintendent, the next day!

View from Kerri's balcony, looking down the LES



Kerri


View to the left of Kerri's apartment


Looking across to Ludlow St at night



Same night view looking down Norfolk St and the Brooklyn Bridge is just at the ack
(which you can't see)


Thanks to my amazing friends for making me feel so at home and for having me become a part of the furniture for the last few weeks!! You've made my experience xx














No comments:

Post a Comment