Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Grey Dog leads me down memory lane

I was in two minds over what to do for lunch today.

Option A: Go for a run

The Saatchi gym. Handy but mmm..not so appealing


The rooftop running track... better..


Views of the Hudson.. pretty!


More scenic views from the rooftop..



The gym and running track are two other S&S offerings which I find quite handy, along with the shoeman. But I wasn't feeling it today, especially as we're so spoilt with coastal and park runs at home.

So, what better than Option B!
Lunch at Grey Dog!
This is listed on Sas and Amy's switch guide as the 'best place for lunch'. Big call. So I figured I needed to test them out. Walking across Varick St and onto Carmine, I noticed a number of really cute looking places to eat and new places to explore/ keep me occupied for the next few lunchtimes.

As I counted the numbers down to 33 Carmine, I suddenly had that feeling of deja vu. Stepping into Grey Dog, I realised this was one of the last places I ate at just before i left NY on my last visit 2 years ago. It was a great little trip down memory lane and I was so happy to rediscover it, having loved it with my friend Helen.

This time, I decided to go with the Grey Dog Club. I'm not normally a massive club sandwich fan (potential for food coma post-lunch) but decided it looked like the most popular option and a good comparison against our local S&S Sydney club favourite from Swaggie's in the Rocks. (Cuz, wish you'd been here to be the true judge)

Verdict: Delicious.. I do love a bit of farmyard on my plate, chicken and bacon! But sadly, only served with normal chips, not hot chips. Sigh. How very English..(reminds me of you, Dan Smith!! Cue your Elton John tribute..)

Grey dog club with chicken



Not a very good shot.. it looks a lot cuter in real life!























































1 comment:

  1. grey dog is so delicious!! try spunto for pizza (really thin crust) and cabritos for mexican (get the pork belly tacos) both are also on carmine st! xx

    ReplyDelete